Your Skincare Regime
Skincare is an important aspect of personal care. We use personal care products throughout our lives from our first baths as infants to daily habits of maintaining our oral hygiene. There are many benefits to applying skincare that go beyond the products and their physiological effects on the skin. There is a clear psychological benefit to the application of cosmetic products for the individual. Studies from Japan conducted in 2013 found that female college students that used cosmetics and grooming products had a positive effect on sleep habits and mental health. Other researchers showed applying cosmetics to conceal facial pigment spots resulted not only in excitement of people viewing their unblemished faces, but also a measurable scientific boost to their immune system. This is clear evidence that the proper use of skincare products can greatly benefit the mind and body.
It is easy to get overwhelmed when confronted with the various choices of skincare. There is a lot of information on skin care and what products do buy. The people giving this advice have probably never stayed in a shelter or lived in poverty. This article tries to advise the most basic option to have healthy skin. To accomplish these basics you need a face wash, a product to treat skin care issues, and a good moisturizer. Skincare is about the prevention of damage. It is easier to prevent than to correct.
The basics of skin care are simple. To take care of your skin, you need to do the following;
1. Cleanse - clean your skin to get rid of dirt, oil and bacteria. Regular liquid soap can dry out the skin. It is recommended to use a facial cleanser if possible. But if nothing is available use soap to wash your face twice a day.
2. Treat - This is optional if you have certain issues with skin such as acne or wrinkles you will need to consider a treatment cream or serum. If you are looking for some exfoliation try the following; with great care, place a warm towel on your face to open pores. To prepare the exfoliating treatment mix some 1/3 of sugar, 1/3 of baking soda, and 1/3 of salt. Take care to avoid the eye area. Combine the powder mix with your facial cleanser, liquid soap or just water. This will make a paste, the more liquid you add the less abrasive the mixture will be. Apply to skin after a patch test to determine any allergy reactions.
3. Moisturizer - If you have normal or dry skin with little issues try buying a large simple body moisturizer. This is a great option when you are on a very low budget. This can potentially irritate oily skin and cause more breakouts. Oils can also be used but not all skin types tolerate. Some oils are too heavy for the face and are used for the body. Lightweight oils are referred to as dry oils they are made from oils like; avocado oil, sesame oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil and rosehip seed oil. This is simply a habit of choice depending on the individual.
Some recommended skincare brands are Nivea, Gariner, Life Brand Aveeno and Neutrogena. These will do the job of keeping your skin clean and moisturized. If you have certain skin conditions here are some tips;
Irritated skin: Products with Aloe Vera, Green Tea, Oat Extract, and Zinc help with reduce skin irritation and help with skin repair.
Acne: Products that treat acne have the following ingredients; Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), Benzoyl peroxide, Clay, Salicylic acid, Sulfur, and Tea-tree oil.
Anti-aging: Look for actives such as Vitamin C, Retinol, Glycolic Acid, and Hylauronic Acid to help keep skin fresh and youthful.
Skincare does not have to be expensive to work. Any product that is on a retail shelf has been registered with Health Canada.
Skincare on a Budget in Toronto
There are more options beyond the local drugstore for beauty products. Places like Winners, Marshals, Walmart, and Dollarama are great sources for beauty brands at lower costs. Watch for sales on your favorite items.
To achieve glowing skin can be a difficult goal for many women who shop on a budget. Between the struggle to gather the basic necessities of life and prioritizing oneself, not knowing what to shop for can prevent a routine from even coming together. To get started, discover our list of tried and true products to make your own skincare routine for under $14 in Toronto.
1. Your Facial Cleanser: Original Deep Cleansing Noxzema from Walmart ($3.39)
This gentle facial cleanser is ideal for removing make-up or everyday dirt and debris. Using only a dime-size quantity every morning will give you clean and fresh skin.
Homemade Alternative: The following method is perfect if you want to create a fresh product with common kitchen items. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 teaspoons of milk in a small bowl and apply to your face. This glow-up is best used when applied in circular motions as it recovers your face’s natural oils. Wash off with lukewarm water.
2. Your Facial Treatment: St. Ives Acne Control Apricot Facial Scrub from Walmart ($4.48)
Everyone’s facial treatment is different depending on their concern. Since acne issues are one of the most troubling skin problems women have, I recommend this gentle exfoliating scrub to remove excess oils and clear your skin right away. Apply a dime-size amount during your skin treatment and apply it in circular motions. Leave the wash on for a minute before cleaning it off with a damp cloth or paper towel. Be gentle on active acne and avoid scrubbing them harshly.
TIP: Always apply every facial cleanser in a circular motion because it is the most effective method of cleaning all your pores of bacteria, which prevents future breakouts.
3. Moisturizer: St Ives Collagen and Elastin Face Moisturizer from Walmart ($4.48)
This moisturizer contains collagen and elastin proteins that assist with maintaining youthful skin. Use as needed and to your skin as needed. Since this moisturizer is aimed at dry skin, you can also apply it to targeted areas of your face instead of your whole face. Your most oily parts, such as the nose, may not need as much (or any) moisturizer as your cheeks if they are dry. Depending on your actual budget, I would recommend investing in a moisturizer with at least 50 SPF to protect yourself from sun damage, which is also a cause of aging.
The total cost of this skin care routine is $13.96, including tax. All the products listed above should be easily accessible from any Walmart location near you. Remember that any effort to take care of yourself especially when facing hardship is an amazing effort.